Free Day!
Free Night!

Pet Resources - General Pet Care

Back to Article Index

What to do in the event of poisoning

catWhat to do in the event of poisoning — If you’re concerned that your pet may have ingested a toxic substance, remember first not to panic. In cases of poisoning, immediacy is needed and will only be hindered by a panic response. Contact your veterinarian immediately or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435. In cases where a pet is seizuring, is losing consciousness or has lost consciousness, or is experiencing difficulty in breathing, it’s especially important that you contact your veterinarian immediately. In other cases, vomiting will need to be induced using hydrogen peroxide. Be sure, however, to follow the advice of your veterinarian or Poison Control on how to induce vomiting.

Keep in mind, too, that you will likely need to have the ingested material so that it can be correctly identified by medical personnel. Safely collect these along with any material your pet may have vomited or chewed and secure them in a zip-lock bag. When calling the Animal Poison Control Center, you will likely need to provide them with your name, address and telephone number; information about the exposure including the type of substance, the amount of the substance and the time since the exposure; the species, breed, age, sex and weight of the animal involved; and the symptoms your animal is experiencing.